University And College Hardship Funds

Type of service:
Finance And Funding
Service description:
The Access to Learning Fund has been replaced. Contact your university or college to find out if you’re eligible for extra money.

You could get extra money from your university or college if you’re experiencing financial hardship, eg you’re:

- a student with children, especially single parents
- a mature student with existing financial commitments
from a low-income family
- disabled
- a student that was previously in care (a ‘care leaver’)
- homeless or living in a foyer

What you’ll get:

- The amount you can get is decided by your university or college. It is paid in a lump sum or instalments.
- You usually won’t have to pay the money back, but in some cases you’ll get a loan that you have to repay.

How to apply
- Contact the student services department at your university or college - they’ll decide if you qualify.

You’ll need:

- a copy of your letter from Student Finance England showing how much student finance you’ll get
- documents about your finances, eg bank statements and rent details

Money from your university or college won’t usually be counted as income when working out your entitlement to benefits or tax credits, unless it’s for day-to-day living costs.
Age range:
16 years - 25 years
Eligibility criteria:
  • Care Leaver
  • Disability
Referral route:
  • Self Referral
Last updated on: