Disabled Students Allowance

Type of service:
Finance And Funding
via website
Telephone number:
0371 468 0 468
Service description:
As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a:
long-term health condition
mental health condition
specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia
The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.
You must:
be an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including Open University or distance learning)
have a condition that affects your ability to study
qualify for student finance from Student Finance England
be studying on a course that lasts at least a year

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are paid on top of your other student finance and don’t have to be repaid.

You can get help with the costs of:
specialist equipment, like computer software
non-medical helpers, like a note-taker or reader
extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability, other costs, like photocopying

Once your eligibility for DSAs is confirmed, Student Finance England will ask you to contact an assessment centre to work out what help you need.
This is known as a needs assessment. Don’t book this until Student Finance England asks you to.
The assessment is paid for through any DSAs entitlement you may have.
After the assessment, you’ll get a report listing equipment and other support you can get for your course.
Money is paid either into your bank account or directly to the organisation providing the service or equipment.

To apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) send form DSA1 to Student Finance England.

Age range:
18 years - 0
Eligibility criteria:
  • Disability
  • Dyslexia
  • Long Term Illness
  • Mental Health Problems
Last updated on: