Universal Credit

Type of service:
Finance And Funding
Telephone number:
0345 600 0723
Mobile number:
0345 600 0743
Service description:
Universal Credit is a new benefit for people who are unemployed or on a low income. UC has started to replace the 6 existing benefits with a single monthly payment. UC will help to ensure that people are better off in work, start a new job or work more hours. It combines in work and out of work benefits, making it easier for you to start work and to stay in work. Your personal situation will affect when and if you can receive Universal Credit.

How much will I get?
Your Universal Credit payment will be made up of different amounts depending on your circumstances. In most cases your Universal Credit will be paid monthly into your chosen account. If you are claiming with a partner, a single payment will be made to cover you both.
The illustration below gives some examples of how the amount of Universal Credit you receive will change as your take home pay changes:

Low cost PC’s and Universal Credit Page 162
If you start work your Universal Credit is likely to go down as your take home pay goes up, but you will be able to earn a certain amount of money before your Universal Credit is affected.

If you are moved onto Universal Credit but your circumstances have not changed, your benefit payments will be protected at their current level. This protection will stay in place until either:

• You would receive more money if you were paid your Universal Credit according to the normal rules for Universal Credit, or

• Your circumstances change, for example you move home or start working more hours.

Will I get less than I do now?
Most households will either receive more under Universal Credit, or the same amount as they receive now, but it depends on your personal circumstances.
If you are moved to Universal Credit but your circumstances have not changed, you will be entitled to transitional protection. This means that you will not receive less than you did under your old benefit or credits.

This amount will be paid until either:

• Your circumstances change, or
• The amount of Universal Credit you have a right to receive matches, or is more than, the amount you were receiving under the old benefit or credits system.

I’m already receiving benefit. Will I have to make a new claim to Universal Credit?

Universal Credit started to be introduced in stages from April 2013. It has already begun in some areas of the country, and we plan to make Universal Credit available in each part of Great Britain during 2016. During this period, you may need to report a change in your current circumstances and you will be told if you now need to claim Universal Credit. If you do, this will require you to make a new claim to Universal Credit, which will close your existing benefits. New claims to existing benefits, which Universal Credit is replacing, will then close down, with the vast majority of claimants moving onto Universal Credit during 2016 and 2017.

How do I make a claim?
You can make a claim for Universal Credit online at www.gov.uk/universalcredit.

All the information that you need to decide if you want to claim Universal Credit is available at
Age range:
16 years - 99 years
Eligibility criteria:
  • Low Income
Referral route:
  • Self Referral
Last updated on: