How to report a concern

What to do if you're a member of the public with concerns about a child's safety or welfare.


If a child is in immediate danger, left alone or missing, you should contact the police directly and/or an ambulance using 999.


If there is no immediate danger but you are concerned about a child’s welfare, contact us using the below services:

Email us

Telephone 0300 126 1000

Out of hours

If you need to contact children's social care urgently during the evening, at night or at the weekend, phone our out of hours team on 01604 626938.

Write to us

Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) and Child Protection Team
Children, Families and Education
Criminal Justice Centre
700 Pavilion Drive

Report a concern about an adult working with children

If you have concerns about an adult working or volunteering with children and young people who may have behaved inappropriately, you can report your concern using the form below:

What happens when you raise a concern with us?

When you raise a concern about a child’s welfare, your call or email goes to our dedicated team of child protection professionals known as the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH). Over 60 people from different organisations work together in the MASH, including social care, police, NHS, education, and probation services.

By working together, we're able gather and collate information quickly to make informed decisions about the risks posed to a child and to decide on the most appropriate response.

  • If we decide that a child is suffering or is likely to suffer serious harm, we share and use information to help us to decide on the best course of action
  • This is likely to include more detailed enquiries by social workers and the police from our MASH Team. If we decide that a case does not meet the threshold for significant harm and doesn't need social care involvement, we will highlight other support available to the family
  • We will tell you if an enquiry is taking place but we won't be able to share specific details due to the confidential nature of this work

Working or volunteering with children, young people and families

Find out how to report a concern if you're a professional.