Evidence shows that organisations which focus on wellbeing achieve reduced sickness absence, improved productivity and reduced staff turnover. Employees themselves feel more motivated, healthier and less stressed.
Creating a healthy workplace for all in Northamptonshire
Northamptonshire Health and Wellbeing Board has resolved to work with all employers in the county to create an ambitious strategy to improve the health and wellbeing of the county's entire workforce.
Evidence shows that effective actions to improve the health and wellbeing of the workforce can lead to:
- Higher productivity
- A more engaged workforce
- Higher retention
- Better brand image
- Low levels of absenteeism
The workplace environment can be stressful, involve unsocial hours and may not always be focused on all the social needs of the individual. This impacts on mental and emotional health. There is no health without mental health.
We know that:
- Chronic health conditions are a major challenge and threat to health and wellbeing
- Many chronic conditions are made worse by being overweight or obese
- Low levels of physical activity, harmful alcohol use or using tobacco lead to poor health
- Ill-health is costly - estimates of £100 billion in 2008 alone for the whole of the UK
- Ill-health can leads to loss of jobs, potentially social exclusion and poverty
Despite the positive attitude and the actions already being taken by many employers, there is still much that can be done together to improve wellbeing.
Employee wellbeing is more than a health and safety issue. Workplaces should encourage, enable and empower employees to improve their health and wellbeing, redesigning their journey to and from work and alleviating psychological factors such as stress.
Workplaces should aim to promote:
- A balanced diet
- Regular physical activity
- Smoking cessation
- Alcohol reduction
- Mental wellbeing / stress reduction
Read the Guide to Healthy Workplaces
A guide to healthy workplaces has been produced, including a ten-step assessment to help businesses consider what they need to do to create the best workplace for their staff.
Northamptonshire Sport delivers the Workplace Challenge - a free programme to help you and your colleagues engage in sport and physical activity and a great way to motivate staff to get more active.
Enter the Workplace Challenge