Recent figures show that 67.5% of adults in Northamptonshire are obese or overweight. We are working to tackle this scary statistic by encouraging more people to get active.
Staying active has real health benefits including:
- maintaining a healthy weight
- reducing blood pressure
- building healthy muscles and bones
- improving balance
- increasing good cholesterol
- reducing the risk of falls
In fact, being more active also reduces the risk by 20 – 50% of getting serious diseases such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, colon and breast cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
People who stay active get less stressed, sleep better, feel better and have a 30% lower chance of getting depressed.
One of the easiest ways to be more active is through walking - it’s a great way for people to increase both their mental and physical wellbeing.
Five reasons to get walking
- It’s free – there’s no need for expensive gym membership or special clothes
- Walking can be done almost anywhere, at any time, so it’s easy to take part
- Walking is perfect for anyone who has poor health or hasn’t exercised in a long time as people can start off as slowly as they need
- Walking is sociable, it’s a chance to spend time with family or friends
- Walking can also be done alone, and is an opportunity for some time out and space from a busy lifestyle
Visit the NHS Choices website to find information about the health benefits of walking:Walking for health