Skip licence

Before you apply

  • ​All skip companies requiring a licence or permit can do this online.
  • ​If you are a member of the public you cannot apply directly to the council for a skip licence. You will need to contact a local skip company who will do this on your behalf.

Apply for a skip licence

Apply online

Further information

​If possible, skips should be placed within property boundaries, i.e. a front garden, as no licence is required and you may approach any skip company of your choice.

​If you require a skip to be placed on any part of the highway (this may be the footway, verge or the edge of the carriageway), the skip company will apply to the council for the necessary licence.

If you are unsure the selected skip company will complete the appropriate checks before they proceed with your request.

​If the skip is placed on the highway, lights will be needed and possibly traffic cones. These will be supplied and maintained by the skip company as part of the conditions when the licence is granted.

​You can have a skip for as long as you need it.

The licence fee to the skip company will be £17 per week.

The skip company will add the appropriate fee to the overall cost of hiring the skip.

​An extension to the licence can be obtained by your chosen skip company. They will contact us to arrange the extension on your behalf.

​Sometimes the proposed location is not suitable in which case the application will not be approved.