Parking enforcement

We are responsible for parking enforcement in all districts and boroughs apart from Kettering.

Who is responsible for parking enforcement?

​Northamptonshire County Council is responsible for parking enforcement in the following areas:

  • Northampton Borough
  • Borough of Wellingborough
  • Corby
  • South Northamptonshire
  • East Northamptonshire
  • Daventry District

Northamptonshire Police will continue to be responsible for parking enforcement in the following areas:

  • Kettering Borough

With the exception of residents parking areas which is carried out by Kettering Borough Council on behalf of Northamptonshire County Council.

​The county council currently has responsibility for ensuring the following parking regulations are observed:

  • Bus stops – no waiting at any time
  • Disabled bays – a valid Disabled Blue Badge must be displayed with parking clocks (if time limited)
  • Double yellow lines – no waiting at any time
  • Limited waiting bays – for permitted period stated
  • Loading bays – for loading/unloading only during specified time
  • Motorcycle bays – for motorcycles only
  • Pay and display areas – a valid pay and display ticket must be purchased and visible
  • Police bays – marked police or unmarked vehicles displaying the relevant police logbook
  • Permit holder bays - a valid permit must be displayed
  • Single yellow lines – no waiting during prescribed hours indicated on the sign
  • Taxi bays – bays designated for taxis only
  • Zig-zags at zebra crossings
  • Vehicle Drive Aways (VDAs) - a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) can still be issued to a vehicle parked in contravention if the motorist has driven away before the Civil Enforcement Officer has affixed the notice to the vehicle.  The PCN will be posted to the registered keeper.
  • Pedexes - Penalty Charge Notices can be issued (jointly with the Police), on restricted pedestrian crossings.
  • Prevented from Issue - if a Civil Enforcement Officer is prevented from issuing a PCN to a vehicle because of aggressive behaviour, both verbally and physically, the PCN will be posted to the registered keeper.

If you are unsure of the parking regulations, you can find further information on the Highway Code website.

​The county council is working in partnership with NSL Services who provide a range of parking related services on behalf of the council.

This includes the management of the Civil Enforcement Officers