Parking fine - appeal

If you think that you should not have received a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN), or there are special reasons why it should be cancelled, you can appeal.

Before you appeal

  • If the PCN was served today, you will not be able to view the details or photographic evidence until the following day.
  • We are unable to accept any challenges by telephone.
  • Please do not make payment at this stage as payment is acceptance of liability

You must challenge each case individually by inputting each unique PCN number.

To appeal, you will need:

  • your vehicle registration number
  • the PCN number listed on your parking ticket

How to appeal


Visit our Parking Services site where you can also view photographic evidence relating to your PCN. You can include jpeg attachments:

Appeal a parking fine

We are unable to accept emails once the Notice to Owner has been served.

Write to us

Please provide as much information as you can to support your reasons why the PCN should be cancelled.

If your letter is received within 14 days of the date the PCN was issued and the challenge is rejected, the council will decide whether to re-offer the 14-day discount period, dependent upon the circumstances of the individual case.

We aim to respond to your challenge within 14 days.

Send your appeal to:

Parking Services
Northamptonshire County Council
Riverside House
Riverside Way
Bedford Road

Further information

​There are specific grounds on which a representation can be made and details are given on the Notice to Owner.

Our Enforcement Protocol gives further details of representations and also mitigating circumstances, and can be found on the Parking Enforcement page.

When your representation is received, an experienced Parking Investigation Officer who is employed by the council will consider it. They will decide if there are grounds to cancel the PCN.  You will be notified in writing of the decision. This must be done under the statutory guidance within 56 days of receipt of the representations. Our aim is to respond within 21 days.

If your representation is rejected we will advise you on how to appeal to a Parking Adjudicator. If you decide to make a formal representation the full amount is payable.

​If you are the registered keeper of the vehicle and have made a formal representation, which has been rejected by the council, you have the right to appeal to a Parking Adjudicator.

A Parking Adjudicator is an experienced lawyer and is independent of the council. The decision of the Parking Adjudicator is final and both parties (you and the council) must adhere to the decision made.

You can choose whether to have your appeal dealt with by telephone, post, or you can attend a personal hearing with the Parking Adjudicator.

You can find out more about a Parking Adjudicator by visiting the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website.
The council is also a member of the Parking and Traffic Regulations Outside London (PATROL) Adjudication Joint Committee. The Joint Committee publishes an Annual Statement of Accounts which is subject to External Audit and the arrangements for 2011/12 are available to view.